Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Install the new administrative tools on Windows Server 2003 R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmidds

MIS
Jul 9, 2003
GB
Hi,

Has anyone successfully managed to install the new administrative tools on R2?

If anyone who has could tell me how they did it I'd be much obliged !!

Thanks in advance

Well that I guess is another question I have. I was asked by a guy who has now left. After installing R2 he couldn't get the 'new' adminitrative tools installed.

to quote his mail

'Here’s what I did... After installing R2 you still need to install the new administrative tools as they are not installed by default. The MS recommended way of doing it is to use the “Manage your server” wizard and choosing “Upgrade this role” for the File Server role and then installing the Print Server role. Unfortunately, each time I tried to do so I would get:

the application could not be initialized '

I guessed at the time he meant the group of tools like AD Domains and Trusts, AD Sites and Services, DHCP etc. Now i'm thinking maybe he meant remote admin tools???

The adminpak.msi file should be on the R2 CDs, and you should be able to just run it.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back