Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to install NIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Oct 16, 2003
US
Okay, i have just installed Linux 8.0 and there is no Internet connection.

eth0 and eth1 not installed, i have the NIC driver CD.... but.... where do i go from there?

How do i install the NIC driver?
What sort of commands do i type? I know what IP to give it...

I heard i need to use ifconfig and what else? What do i do? I got no clue in me.

Thanks,

What kind of card is it? I'd get the chipset 'id' (3com 8509, whatever) and do a Google for '<chipset id> modprobe linux'. It'll probably find a good link for you showing what module is required for your NIC. Once you know which one it is, just follow instructions/advice found at the same link (probably 'modprobe tulip' or something).

If you have a driver CD, and it has a Linux driver on it, it's probably a kernel module but requires some specific revision of a specific kernel version or something. You may get lucky, or you may spend days trying to compile a compatible kernel and tweaking it all to work :)

----
JBR

Or just perhaps give up with Linux because it's such a pain in arse to install anything?

I've got a Broadcom 440x on my Dell laptop. Even following the all the instru using RPMs etc to try install the driver here I am without the most important aspect of Linux/Unix - Networking after 2 weeks.

Newbies can't just be expected to compile and rebuild drivers / kernels. I've experience with compiling C code on Windows but I can't surf and learn stuff without the Linux NIC driver or Samba running to read Windows partitions.

Still a huge learning curve on Linux no matter how good the GUI is! Most people don't have a couple of days to spend just to install a driver.

Leon.

Well then, hoggbottom59, perhaps you shouldn't be giving advice in support of linux.
MODERATOR: TROLL!

755: You probably just need to 'insmod module' where &quot;module&quot; is the name of the module that supports your NIC. Most installs of RedHat 8 (which you called linux 8) install the kitchen sink. Unless your NIC is unusually advanced, it is likely that the driver itself is installed on the machine, but that it is not being loaded.

use 'lsmod' to see the loaded modules, 'depmod -a' to load them up again, and the above insmod to load a specific driver.

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

Sorry the Technical user is from MS Access forums!
Quite unwarranted here!

Well I'm sure it will eventually work but I've installed RH9 and the driver isn't installed. Thus the reason for taking the convoluted route of doing all the nitty gritty.

L.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back