Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to install Cisco VPN with Remote and routing on Win2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPBleau

Programmer
Jun 30, 2004
CA
Hi,
I installed a Cisco VPN client on my XP pro laptop. I connect to the Internet using the Remote and Routing service on Windows 2003 Server. I cannot find a way to open ports so the VPN will connect.
Is anybody installed the VPN client on the server, so the tunnel is always open to the PCs on the network ? I don't want to screw my Server installation by replacing IPSec with the Cisco protocol...
Thanks.

I tried to install to Cisco VPN Client 4.0.4B on my Windows 2003 Server. The installation package does not extract the virtual adapter driver and fails. After I Extracted the files manualy the VPN Client installs.

Now if connect to the VPN the asks for the Radius auth, gets the routing data, but i cannot set up the routing table.

The cisco VPN client is for NT/2K/XP , i'm not sure if it is designed to work correctly on Server OS.

Unless I'm wrong, and it happens more than I care to admit, the last time I checked out the Cisco VPN client you couldn't use it with anything but Cisco products.

What I mean, is that you can't use the Cisco VPN client, and then use a third party VPN software and expect this to work.

My question is this, what are you using as your VPN server? Is it a Cisco concentrator, firewall, etc... or are you trying to use built in features of Windows or some other form of software?

As for the tunnel always being open, that isn't the way you want your VPN to work. You want to, dynamically, create the tunnel as it is needed. It provides better security for the network.

As to any other errors you may be receiving, this is from the Cisco site

-----------------------------------------------------------
The Cisco VPN Client supports Windows 98, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, XP; Linux (Intel); Solaris (UltraSparc 32- and 64-bit); and Mac OS X, 10.1, and 10.2. The Cisco VPN Client is compatible with the following Cisco products:

Cisco VPN 3000 Series Concentrators
Cisco VPN 3000 Series Concentrator Software version 3.0 and higher
Cisco IOS Software releases 12.2(8)T and higher
Cisco PIX Firewall Software version 6.0 and higher
-----------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps a bit.

Hello,

What I want to install is the VPN CLIENT, not server. I want to use it to connect with a customer site using Cisco equipment.
I support many customers over my Remote and Routing service and I don't want to break it for one customer. This is why I asked for experiences about installing the client tunnel on my Win2003 server without disturbing my other uses.
Thanks

I haven't done this install myself, so I cannot provide first hand experience on this. But according to Cisco.com, the VPN Client doesn't "officially" support Windows 2003.

It sounded to me as if the original poster was using Win2003 as essentially a client, and so the RAS service is not strictly in play (as VPN client). But I agree the question as posted is confusing.

Ok,
Let me explain...

I have a network with a Win2003 server. I have a WinXP worskstation on this network that connects to the internet via the server Remote and Routing Service (NAT).

If I run the VPN client on this workstation, it cannot go throught the server to reach the Internet. I tried to open the required ports, without success. If I connect the workstation directly to the internet, it works.

What I want to do is to open a Cisco VPN tunnel from my server to my customer network and then access the network from my workstation on my network.

I hope this is more clear.
Thanks.

That helps quite a bit.

Last question: are there any firewalls on the XP workstation?

Hello,

I did disable all firewalls to try without success. On the XP SP2 and on the Server 2003.

Sorry, one more question: describe your internet connection.

If using DSL/ADSL/SDSL on either end, often this is an MTU issue. You need to backoff the default MTU of 1500 to something in the lower 1423 range.

Hello,
I am using 56k Dial-up on the server for now. DSL not available.
My MTU is set to default for dial-up and to 1300 for the network connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back