Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to install app across all users

Status
Not open for further replies.

drashish

Technical User
Feb 28, 2002
US
hello,

I am installing software, such as palm desktop and others onto my xp home editon pc. I've set up Windows XP to have 3 users (my wife, brother and me). I want everyone to have access to all the same applications though. How can I set this up? In particular, I want everyone to have access to the Palm Desktop since it has out family telephone directory. But it would only install in one user, and I cannot copy and paste an execution shortcut via going to program files and copy to others desktop.

When I install an individual app, it doesn't present this option (which user would I like to install to) so the problem isn't with the palm application.

Help appreciated!

Can you create a shortcut and copy it to the all users folder or copy it to the other user’s desktops through explore...C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop. I do not have a lot of experience with the palm software so I don’t know exactly how it works. But that would be what I would try first

I have tried that method but it doesn't work. Any other ideas, some thing with windows xp I can try?

you have to install it as an administrator, and you can specify who can use it.

The account I installed on has admisntrator priviledges. The computer is set up for 3 users only and each has admisntrative priviledges.

Is there another account called adminstrator? If so, how do I logon to that one. And when I install MS office or Roxio DVD burner, it doesn't say which account to install on and it installs access to all 3.

thanks
ashish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back