Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to install a hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

yordangs

ISP
Sep 7, 2001
MX
hello anyone have a link or have a guide to install a hard disk on a rs6000 i see in smit menu it be can added another disk, but i want to know all the steps to follow to make this installation rigth, how format the disk, how add parttions, i need to know all of that kind of information.

thanks a lot anyway and any help will be apreciated

Yordangs,

This is beyond a "tek-tip" honestly. There are many factors to consider, such as:

Server type (J30, R50, S80, 570, etc)
Production or development
SCSI or SSA

These are determine how to install the disk. Your best bet, if you don't know how to do it, is to call IBM if you have a service contract.

Bill

Mi server its a rs6000 the hard disk it a scsi disk and i want to install , like nother unit already have one this its running aix 4.3 but i require more space to this system for that reason we buy a new hard disk but i dont have idea how format it or how make the partitios on aix in this new disk

my system show me there are a new disk but how can access to it, or how can format it and how creat the partition on aix

Yes indeed it is an rs/6000. But what model ? There are many. That will determine the procedure to install the disk.

Bill.

its a Enterprise server model B50 with aix 4.3 the new hard disk its Ultrastar 36LZX of 36.7 Gb.

On the B50, the drives install in the front, on the right side I believe.
Be sure this is a RS/6000 disk drive and not a Netfinity (Intel based) disk drive. If it is for Netfinity (xSeries), it may work, but there are no guarantees. One of the things that may not work are the bad-block relocation routines.

You'll need to power down the unit, remove all access covers, install the drive and put it back together. You'll need to be sure there is an available ribbon connector, and also confirm which format or SCSI the unit is configured for (differential or single-ended). The drive must run the same SCSI format.

If you are not familiar with these concepts, I strongly advise you to NOT proceed and get someone there who knows how to do this.

Bill.

Yordangs
How I wish you understand bjveral!
The job is both simple and could be difficult.
After doing all he said, you dont need to Format the disk like NT before using it. Just install and run 'Diag' follow resouce selection menu and try to first Certify the disk. This is one sure test the disk is ready to roll, then you add the disk to any volume group of your chioce (probably rootvg) since its only one disk that was the machine has.
After all these the disk will be ready to be used. you do not need to create partitions except you need extra partions (since you said space problem led you into buying a new disk)

Remi

I just noticed the following line in one of your posts...

" my system show me there are a new disk but how can access to it, or how can format it and how creat the partition on aix "

Well, this is a new week, and I guess I am reading things a bit more clearly...

Follow Remi's advice, then do an "extendvg rootvg hdisk1". This will add the disk to rootvg and make it available for usage.

Bill.

ok but how can i now what device is ?? in smit only marks me this

hdisk0 Available 10-80-00-2,0 16 Bit SCSI Disk Drive
hdisk1 Available 10-80-00-4,0 16 Bit LVD SCSI Disk Drive

the new disk its the second in the list

how i format this disk (format hdisk1) or how can do that and the second if i run the
extendvg rootvg hdisk1 command this will make accesible this disk?? and the space will add to the acctual file system ??

sorry but im newbie installing disk in unix and specially in aix

All you need to do is "extendvg rootvg hdisk1". There is no "format" required.

Bill.

thaks a lot for all the help bjverzal and 2339 now i have mounted the disk, if some day i want to change this disk to another server only have to remove it form the sistem or have to run a similar command this question its because i have 6 servers and sometimes one fill the space faster than other and maybe need the disk on the other server what could be the steps to follow ??

That will prove to be a difficult task.

You'll need to remove all data on the disk (back it up), remove the disk, install it on the other server, and repeat the steps we've described above.

It is not good to move disks between systems. Your company should invest a few thousand dollars in some disk and deal with this issue.

If you are the administrator, it is up to you to do capacity planning.

Regards, Bill.

If I may, I would suggest some light reading on the AIX LVM. You can download manuals in PDF format from IBM, start at There is really WAY too much to cover in this forum.

And to re-emphasise earlier comments, you should buy new disks for your other machines. Alternatively you can purchase an external disk frame, however that will be even more for you to learn and if you are short on time it may not be good for business operation.

Personally, I would never install anything in an RS6000 that did not come from IBM. Plus if you do it yourself you are probably violating your warranty or maybe service agreement. Besides, if you are paying for service or it is under warranty, let them do the work!

Here its the situation, im in Mexico here we dont have service from ibm, many times we talk to ibm but they don´t know how to solve the problems here in the ibm center where i have the support many times don´t have the rigth persons to give me the correct information by this reason always take this forum for ask for help because here are alot of experts who can solve my questions or can help me to thing what could be happen and many time dont have the time to make phone calls and wait for a expert, we need to solve the problems in the moment the fastes that we can.

we bought this disk in ibm but ibm dont give me support for this things here in mexico i apreciate you comentaries and the help who was bring to me in this forum

thanks alot to everyone

We have an office in Mexico City (and other places even more remote) so I understand. IBM support is sometimes hard to get in the USA, even for large corporations such as mine. Let us know what you decide to do and we will try to help. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back