Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to install a french keyboard 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sept2006

Technical User
Sep 6, 2006
CA
Hello:

I just got a new computer. although the keyboard is french, i can not type french accents : â...

i tried to play with the keyboard parametrers in settings but to no avail.

could you tell where to change my keyboard settings?

Thanks.

Does the keyboard come with its own software?

Is the character map set to what you want?

thanks NoCalAdmin.

what do you mean by 'character map' ? where do i look for it ?

click on Start-Programs-Accessories-System tools and select character map. It is the default font format that your machine reconizes. I have a few users that use the ñ (spanish) and other medical characters. I just wrote the ñ with a hotkey.

If certain characters are your only issue, look up in the character map the symbol you need. When you hold you cursor over the symbol it'll give you a hotkey for it. When the cursor on your document is in place use the Alt+ hotkey number (you must use the keypad for these hotkeys)

Make a short reference doc to go back to until you memorize the hotkeys. Or if you want ALL French the French Script may be your resolution.
Hope this helps

Tom

start menu, control panel, regional and language options, language tab, details, install or select the french for your desired country.

If you wish you can remove the others that are there at the moment.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back