Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to install a Centronics printer in MS Virtual Machine 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PauserBR

Programmer
Jan 25, 2007
BR
I run my microcomputer under Windows XP Professional and recently I added Win98SE, operating under MS Virtual Machine (I have some old programs that don't run under XP). Everything is working fine, except for the fact that I can´t install a HP 930C Deskjet printer via the parallel interface. This printer works fine under XP, but in spite of liberating LPT1 in the settings os MS Virtual Machine, it can't be seen by Win98SE. Any hint?

Can you share the printer in the host machine and then set the printer up via Add Printer in 98 as a Network Printer?

It may be necessary to install 98 drivers in 98 or as Additional Drivers in the host.

I would not like to activate the network between the host and Win98SE in the virtual pc. But in case I can't find a solution via the centronics port, I'll have to use this option. Thank you for the suggestion.

Did you restart the Virtual PC after enabling the physical LPT1? I just installed in Epson printer on a Win98 Virtual PC without any trouble, so it should be possible if Win98 supports the HP 930C and it's connected to the physical LPT1 of the host.

Yes. I restarted the Virtual PC many times, during many trials. Now I have a new problem. I uninstalled "Virtual PC Additions" to check if the printer would work without it and now I can't reinstall it. I just see the option "Remove". How can I remove an addition that was already removed? Whenever I click on the virtual CD image to install those "Additions", the system only gives me the option to "remove" Virtual PC Additions. I know the additions are not installed because the mouse gets trapped inside the Win98SE window (I have to press <RIGHT ALT> to liberate it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back