Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to install 10g in harmony with Oracle App Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpeliam

Programmer
Mar 17, 2000
US
Hey all. I've installed Oracle App Server 10.1.3 Enterprise Edition. It has sqlplus and everything, but no database that I'm aware of. I'd like to install an Oracle database, but I'm not sure if I should just install Oracle DB on top, and how to get it to talk with the app server so that they're aware of each other. Do they even need to be aware of each other?

I'm a developer, not a dba. (Actually, we don't have a dba, so i guess i'm both.) Any help you can offer would be great.

Liam Morley
Software Engineer
"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.

Liam

Depending on how you installed the application server you may already have a database installed, did you do only java or did you do the forms and reports ie full distribution of app server and did you have to create the infrastructure server

If you have a infrastructure server you should have a database server now installed

What is the purpose of the Application Server.
If you are running Oracle App server then you are likely going to want an oracle database server hold the data that your application manipulates. java running on Oracle can use other databases as sources of the applicatioon data but it is not want it is best at and you ay want to reconsider.

If you need more info get back and see what we can provide

Cheers

Technology Consultant, Australia
"So much of what we call management consists of making it difficult for
people to work" --- Peter Drucker

dbnetsi, thanks for the response.

I installed Oracle App Server Enterprise Edition- I used the 'basic' setup (not advanced setup), so if the only way to install the infrastructure server is to go through advanced (I was not aware of the infrastructure server?), then I don't have it.

Liam Morley
Software Engineer
"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back