Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to insert 2 independent TOCs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

doneirik

Technical User
Nov 23, 2007
NL
Hi,

I have a rather large document in two languages, formatted as a table with 2 columns, where I have one language in the left column, the other language in the right column.

Now I would like to insert one TOC for the left colummn and another one for the right column. How can I do this?

Are there better ways to solve this? (do I need to apply different Header styles to the 2 languages)

any suggestions would be appreciated.

regards.
don

Seems you will, depending on the language, h a v e to apply different styles to your headers but not different header styles:
- 'Header level1 languageA', 'Header level1 languageB' seems to be what you want, but
- 'Header level1', 'Header level2', etc is what Word only can provide.

Please post more details what you do with (or to) your text.

Your problem is very intersting to e.g. a) teachers and b) people working with translating a text. (At least I am interested.)
Markus

You were on your way to the solution when you asked "Do I need to apply different Header styles to the 2 languages?" Yes, you do. But note that the styles do not need to be Heading styles because you can build a TOC using any style in your document. You would include a \t switch in your TOC code, e.g. { TOC \t "FirstStyleName,1,SecondStyleName,2"} The number after the style name would format that heading with the corresponding TOC style. In the sample above, text included in your TOC because it was formatted with the FirstStyleName would be formatted with TOC 1 style, etc.

Thanks,

What I did was to apply different styles to each language, i.e. HEADER-1-EN , HEADER-1-DE , HEADER-2-EN, HEADER-2-DE etc etc.

It seem to work now, though on friday it didn´´t.

regards and thanks. Guess I will be back for more questions soon

doneirik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back