Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to increase the SQL Server ODBC driver timeout ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashvin

Programmer
Aug 5, 2000
MU
Hi,<br>I'm having some problems dealing with queries that give me some kind of error message : 'Microsoft ODBC SQL Server Driver Timeout Expired'. Can anyone please tell me how to increase that timeout ?

You can go to Window's ODBC manager under Control Panel and choose the SQL Server driver; the query timeout parameter is one of the last screens in the configuration wizard-type interface (i.e., keep hitting the Next button). <p>Robert Bradley<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= - Visual FoxPro Development</a><br>

May I know which platform are you refering to ? I cannot find it in Win95.
Does changing the driver from sql driver to oledb driver help to solve the timeout ?

I no longer have access to the machine on which I was running this, and I don't see it on my Win2K machine at present. What client are you using to run the queries (i.e. Query Analyzer, VB/ADO, VFP)? Robert Bradley
Got extra money lying around? Visit:

Actually, I am using VB/ADO to write a schedule job to run on the NT server with SQL server database. The timeout expired happen when trying to execute an Insert statement which has a select statement i.e. &quot;Insert into table1 select column1, column2 from table2&quot;.

I have tried to increase the time for connection timeout property of the ADO connnection, but still face the same problem. Will it help if I increase the time for command timeout property or if I change the connection string to be using SQL OLEDB provider instead of SQL driver ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back