Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Increase Switchboard Options 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HJessen

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
US
Is it possible to increase the number of switchboard options from the default 8? I tried to change the properities, but when I went to the switchboard manager it still limited me to eight entries. I need at least 4 more for a total of 12.

THANKS. H. Jessen
"Now I know more, and I feel dummer"

HJessen:

You can do it manually, but you will have to change the code behind the switchboard form to account for more buttons.

Why not just make the last button on the switchboard say something like 'More whatever', and point it to another switchboard?

That will give you another 6-8 buttons depending on whether you want to use them all for options or reserve one to go back to main switchboard; or reserve two: one for going back to main switchboard and one to go to a third switchboard, etc., etc.

Hope this helps,

Vic

VicM

That would work - however, I usually give the user the last option to 'EXIT/QUIT'. And drilling down for these users is not something they can easily handle. They were the testers for the 'KISS' method of user interface - if it has more than two steps they get lost.

As for changing the code, can you give me any hints? As I stated, I changed the properities to allow for 12, but when I went to the Switchboard Manager it limited me to 8.

H. Jessen

H. Jessen, See if this thread, "How to Increase number of menu items in a switchboard?"
thread700-174910
helps. Montrose Learn what you can and share what you know.

Thank You ALL for your help.

Now it is time to dive in and see what happens!

H. Jessen

I have recently discovered the simplicity and beauty of using custom menus and toolbars. You can have more options readily available, and they give it a more familiar look and feel. The switchboard is great because it is very quick to implement, but when it is no longer enough, I recommend creating your own custom menus and toolbars. [morning] Sleep is for people with no caffeine.

w/o search, I'm not even going to try to find a specific thread re swithcboard (or much of anyting else). I did generate an alternative approach which simply lists the various forms to select from a table in a simple combobox. Selecting the dest in hte combo box essientially just opened the selected form and hid the pseudo swithcboard. each target form needed to 'un-hide' the switchboard and close itself. Using this approach, the (pratical) limit on how many items (forms) you can have goes away. Using Ms. Speak, you need to modify the form, the code behind the form and the table every time you modify the items [form(s)] avilable. Using a simple combo box, all that is necessary is the modification of the combobox controlsource. It is also easy to "hide" forms from users or groups, simply by adding the group(s) to the table and checking the User (and / or Group membership) aginst the User permissions. Without having to have 'missing' buttons in the arrangement.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

MichaelRed
You approach may seem easier for you; however, I am not a programmer nor do I have much VBA experience. Additionally, I am not using any MS Access security, so the permissions is a null subject here.

Could you give me a sample of what you did with regards to the "generate an alternative approach which simply lists the various forms to select from a table in a simple combobox."?

Thanks. H. Jessen

hmmmmmmmmmmmm,

I'll try (BRIEFLY) to show some of it:

The table
DbName[tab][tab]DbUncPath

Stu Aid[tab][tab]\\Mred\mlr\My Documents\StAug\StuAid.Mdb
Books[tab][tab]\\Mred\mlr\My Documents\StAug\StAugCSI.Mdb
Tek-tips[tab][tab]\\Brian\brian\MsAccess\Tek-Tips.mdb

cboSelDb
.rowsourcetype = Table/Query
.RowSource = "SELECT * FROM tblDbUncId;"
.ColumnWidths = 1.25";3"

cmdOpen
.caption = "Open Selected db"
.OnClick [EventProcedure]
Code:
Private Sub cmdOpen_Click()
    Call basOpenNewDb(Me.cboSelDb)
End Sub

Code:
    'Michael Red    10/1/02 Tek-Tips thread705-371815
    'mstrmage1768 a.k.a. Robert L. Johnson III

Dim strAccDB As String
    Dim strAccLoc As String
    Dim strPrompt As String
    Dim intResponse As Integer

strPrompt = "Are you sure you wish to enter the " & MyDB & " database?"
    intResponse = MsgBox(strPrompt, vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Database Entry")

If intResponse = vbNo Then

Else

strAccDB = Chr(34) & MyDB & Chr(34)
        strAccLoc = SysCmd(acSysCmdAccessDir) & "MsAccess.Exe"

Call Shell(strAccLoc & " " & strAccDB)

End If

End Function
[code]

This example opens different databases, rather that just other forms in the same db.  To open a form, the LAST procedure would be replaced wit a routine which did the open method with the new form name, and the table would JUST have the form names in it.

I'm a bit tired so will not attempt to do this at the moment, but perhaps I could do one at some other time (or date).

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back