Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to increase Crystal Reports Performance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

venumg

Programmer
Apr 9, 2001
US
Hi,

We have a report which displays lot's of info.
but we do have a wizard sort of functionality which allows the user to select a lot of criteria based on which the report will be displayed.
When the Selection formula is modified will it change the SQL of the report so that the conditions are added to the query and executed(which i think gives a better performance) or is the selection done after executing the generalized query and fetching the results.

eg:

if i want to display a specific set of records between 2 dates my query at the design time will be something like "select * from table" and at the run time it should get changed to "select * from table where date between 12/03/2001 and 12/04/2001".

will crystal report does this or will it just execute the first query and after getting all the results will it display only those between these dates.

I need this clarification asap.

please help me out.

regards,
venu.

Hi venu, I have the same problem, my asp page allown the user select very condition and I send this for the Object report(I created a Crystal Reports Objects), but time out occurs and nothing happing.

The follown my enviroment:
language: ASP
operation System: Windows 2000 SERVER
Data Base: Oracle 8
Connection: ODBC
Crystal: 8.441

Please, if you have a solution could you send for me ?

Thanks a lot.
Marcelo Augusto de Carvalho
email:mcarval2@ford.com

Well it depends. If Crystal can build a new SQL statment it should do that prior to executing the query on the Server. On the other hand there are some types of selections, which Crystal cannot update the SQL statment. such as doing a selection on a function field in the report. Under that situation it selects as much as it can and then filters out the remaining unwanted records after the fact. If you are worried about performance, try to keep your selection against the data fields themselves, also make sure that you are using the correct indexed files to make the job easier to query against.

Steven Kopp

One thing you could try is creating two or more stored procedures, based on your users possible input. Make sure the recordsets returned by each have the same field structure. Then you can change the report database location on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back