Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to...in windows XP..

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin511

Programmer
Mar 27, 2002
US
I need to stop my users from modifying anything in XP's stations. They have to be allow only to open windows explorer and browse a network drive content. The network drive content lots of pictures wich they have to choose from. So. I need help to configure the stations so nothing could be delete or copy and to start and stay in windows explorer to browse those pictures. Maybe i should let them use Internet explorer to browse those pictures. Any sugestions ?? Thanks for your help....

You need to look at Group Policies. it's a big subject, so I sugest some reading up on this. Any XP Administrator book should be a good start. get it wrong and you could end up with some very badly configured machines.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

How To Use the Group Policy Editor to Manage Local Computer Policy in Windows XP

Here's a bit of information, a mountain of it is available via Google, and don't forget Help and Support. I have tried to arrange the links from basic to complex. Hope it helps you.

Have a look at this Microsoft program (a public computer type tool).
Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP (Beta)

Don't be put off by the "Beta" there are distict possibilies with this software, read the review carefully, it is a free and smallish download and worth experimenting with.

Thanks To all of you guys.

I feel a little less like a dinosaure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back