Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Import an Illustrator Design into Quark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvasquez

MIS
Feb 28, 2001
US
Hello everyone I am new to Quark and I just purchase Quark 5 since it is the standard most print shops used. Most of the time they wound up integrating my Illustrator design and somehow they imported it into Quark. I never asked them how they did that but I would like to get some feedback from you.

My Illustrator design has images that are imported into the design as well as Background fade and some illustrator font effects. Which is the proper way to import this design into Quark? I am thinking maybe importing the entire design as a TIFF but would like to hear from you. Thanks a bunch and happy Valentines Day!

Sincerely;
Carlos

save your Illustrator file as an eps
create a pitcher box
go to file, get pitcher, and locate the file
thats it Greg

K & G Design
kgdesign@warwick.net

That is easy enough. Though there was a different way of loading an Illustrator file into Quark.

The downside to that is that you can not edit the EPS in Quark. If I wanted to make changes to it I have to go to Illustrator and again import the EPS into Quark. That could be a pain but since that is the solution. Thanks.

Carlos.

It would be possible for Quark to try to add all the editing tools, but the program would be an enormous ram-hog, expensive, and still have incompatibilities every time Freehand, Corel or Illustrator put out a new upgrade.

Even though you can't edit directly in Illustrator, if you double-click on it in Quark, a dialog box will come up, with a button that offers to open the "publisher" of the image. That should open it in Illustrator,where you can do whatever you want and resave. That takes some of the "no editing tool" inconvenience away.

Also, you can set a preference for "automatic import", which will update the image if it has been modified since first placed. I think it checks when you open your Quark document and when you print.

p.s. ...and when you return to Quark, double-click using your content tool and click to get edition for the update. Also, consider separate imports of the PS and the AI files. Quark is your compilation software; the other two are for artwork. Consider that you are taking a 300(?) dpi piece of art and sending it out within an 800 dpi (by default) file. Lots of ram and extra processing time.

...Also note that if you are bringing in any text that you created in Illustrator, you MUST either create outlines in Illustrator before bringing it into Quark, or include the font used in Illustrator with your files when sending it to press. Quark will not list that font under its Usage info (unless you're also using it somewhere in the Quark doc.), but it's still linked to it because Illustrator is using it, so it's kind of hidden & tends to get forgotten--but will cause problems at the printer if you forget it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back