Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to implement FTP on AIX going to a W98se pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkat

Technical User
Mar 9, 2002
US
I have a 43p-7248 and I have created large IGIS files in /home/catadm. I connected an rj45 cable to a 3COM pci
card in my 1.9g AMD athalon. So far, I cannot even get the machines ti talk no matter what IP's, domain/nameserver names, etc I conjure up. Can anybody help with either end of this mess? Then, I will need somebody to walk me through FTP so I can end up with the IGIS files transferred to my pc where I can make zips, cds, or dvds and, I can send e-mail attachements. I would be happy with a manual or two that would spell all this out. tkasmer@yahoo,com, 607-7275709 Tom Kasmer

What is the cable you used? Is it a standard CAT5 or is it a crossover?

You should be using a crossover cable.

Mainly you need a crossover cable, as comtec17 said.
Then on Windows98 se there isn't an FTP SERVER.
This means you will have to execute an ftp FROM your PC and GET the file from the AIX box

what windows OS will do what I want? I would like the pc to be the server and be able to FTP the rs6000

Are you trying to FTP to the RS6000 or are you trying to FTP from the RS6000 to the windows box?

If you are trying to FTP from window to AIX then at the command prompt: ftp <ip or host>

If you are trying to FTP from the AIX to the Windows machine then you will need to add an FTP server to the Windows Box. Something like Bulletproof.

Windows98 was developed essentially for PC working as client ... could be a nice idea to upgrade to Windows 2000 and get a freeware ftp server from the net which are usually easier to configure and use than the Microsoft one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back