Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to identify the NIC on Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasserdog

Technical User
May 13, 2002
US
Hello:

I'm a novice user of Linux and to networking configuration so there may be a simple solution to this problem....

I'm unable to identify the NIC maker/details (subsequently, unable to install the correct driver or configure the networking settings to connect the machine to the Internet).

The NIC is integrated into the Intel board. Unfortunately, the maker of the computer, Quantex, went bankrupt in 2000. And Intel Support did not have Quantex's board configuration db. Essentially, I don't know which driver to install. So I'm hoping there is a way to identify exactly which NIC is installed, for example, a software utility. I read that a program Kudzu runs at start-up on RH 7.0 to identify if new hardware is installed. But I'm looking for details of hardware already installed.

Any help you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

marcus

Machine details:
- Bought machine new from Quantex in June 2000 (but collecting dust for nearly two years)
- 600-mhz PIII/Intel board
- 10k rpm scsi drive

check the /proc/pci file to see if it can help ID the hardware. RedHat should have identified this NIC and installed the proper kernal moduals when you installed. Have you made sure that the NIC is enabled in the system BIOS?

Your best bet may be to go get a new NIC that is supported.

Good luck with it

Entering
Code:
 ifconfig
may give you some useful information.
CaKiwi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back