Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to I get 5.5 or 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul12345

Technical User
Feb 3, 2005
GB
I think I have IE 5.0 right now and no webpages will pull up. Ocassionally I it will work but very very rarely. Netscape works fine and is my default browser. I DL'd the setup file for 5.5 and 6.0 both but neither will connect to DL the rest of the files needed. What can I do to get IE to work or get another copy of 5.5 or 6.0?

I can ping all the sites that I try to pull up in IE, can also view them with Netscape

I have IE 5.5. I also have a cable modem so the connection speed isnt the problem. My other older computer can connect to the DL site and DL all the files for the installation and IE works on that computer as well, and both computers are going through the same Linksys router with the same settings. Are there any settings I can set in IE to connect, im getting a the message of "Cannot find server..." even to my gateway of 192.168.1.1 (Linksys has a web based interface).

If there is nothing I can do how can I get rid of IE and MS Outlook Express? The only options I have are under add/remove programs is "Add component" and "Repair IE 5.5..."

There must be some kind of proxy settings that IE does not like, but I have it set to automatically detect, just a thought.

Thanks

I opened up the IE folder and went to the setup file located inside. Clicked on the setup file and it said searching for previous version, then took me to the IE 5.5 internet tools and maint. program window and said click OK to restore the previous IE and shared components. I clicked OK and it said that "You can not uninstall IE 5.5. Either the uninstall information is missing or corrupt. So I have no idea how to uninstall except just delete the folder.

Paul12345:

What operating system are you using?

I would suggest using your Netscape browser to download a full installation copy of IE 6 from Microsoft, which you can then install at your leisure. This should work at least if you have Win9x or WinNT.

I had to do something similar when IE 5.0 on a NT 4 machine I administrate at work became corrupted after a user had accidentally deleted some system file, and it worked fine.

DrMaggie ---------
"Those who don't know the mistakes of the past won't be able to enjoy it when they make them again in the future."
— Leonard McCoy, MD (in Diane Duane's Doctor's Orders)

First, I would strongly suggest against deleting anything at this point. IE really likes Windows...and vice versa. You'll likely have more and more serious problems with just a "delete en masse." If you really want to remove IE I think your best bet is to use a program called IE-Radicator ( But beware: doing this isn't necessarily a "fix-all." You'll likely have Registry issues or your PC may, in fact, not even boot. Even so, I have used it and recovered but I would use it again only as a last resort to ridding myself of IE. Second, it doesn't sound like a connection issue; that is, you are able to go elsewhere on the web--with IE and Netscape. So, I think changing any router settings would probably not be of benefit. Third, when you finally ARE able to download the files, save them to disk. Personally, I have all the setup files for IE5.01SP2, IE5.5SP2 & IE6 saved to my hard drive for those (inevitable) occasions when I'll need them. Fourth, since your second PC is able to get to the download site, perhaps you could download everything to that PC. Then, with "File and Print Sharing" enabled, get on your first PC and navigate to the "Setup" on the second PC and do the install from there. You may never be able to understand and/or fix the problem you're having. Hopefully, however, there is some information here that will help you.

Brian S.

You wrote

"There must be some kind of proxy settings that IE does not like, but I have it set to automatically detect, just a thought."

Try this

Internet Explorer/Properties/Connections/LAN Settings/ Uncheck "Automatically detect settings" and "Use a proxy Server"

smitee

"automatically detect settings" should only be selected if your ISP advises you too.

My ISP (Cable connection) works just fine without proxies,
i.e. 'Direct Connection to the Internet'.

Everybody's ISP of course will differ.

The default, and recommended by Microsoft is to let IE try to detect your connection. This can be useful for folks running laptop computers which may use more than one type of connection i.e. Dial Up Networking at home and LAN connection at work.

If you use the checkbox and no script, IE tries to discover your connection by looking for DNS broadcasts on the network. It also looks for a WPAD file, which your ISP can tell you if they use one or not.

Learn all you never wanted to know about this subject at

Further Recommended reading...

Woof!

I agree with skeetre,
don't just delete it.
First try to repair it. IE has a self repair button under Add/Remove Programs. If that doesn't work, go to the microsoft IE site and download all service packs and updates and install them, if you haven't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back