Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to host PHP/MySQL site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iamthestig

Programmer
Apr 30, 2008
GB
I have a website written with PHP and MySQL. The company that designed it also hosted it. Now that the hosting is up for renewal, I would like to host it myself on my companies web server. I have been sent the data as a MS SQL Server Query File and the website as PHP files. I don't have either PHP software or MySQL. I do have SQL 2008 and a good knowledge of .Net technologies and MS SQL Server.

What do I need to host the site? Is MySQL or PHP free?
I could convert the MySQL to SQL but this could complicate things. If I download MySQL and PHP can I simply open the project and host it on the server?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

hi,

what kind of server are u using?
I think if u just upload all .php files into the /htdocs folder on your server the site should work.Also u need a database server running too.
MySQL stuff u could find on or u could use PHPMyAdmin from I think u should also check(if exists) the config.ini file which should hold the connection settings.
I'm new in this too :)

Are you running a webserver? if so which one? IIS?

Copying the pages and trying to run them without having a PHP parser configured for the webserver will result in the pages shown with the PHP code as is, that is the PHP wont be run/ executed.

All this is assuming you have a webserver running.

You can download Mysql, and PHP for free, but MYSQL does have cost for certain situations, you should read their Licenses and Agreements to see where you fit in.

Additionally can your server be connected to from outside, that is, does it have a peramanent IP address your visitors can use to visit the site. Is this address assigned to a Domain name?

These are all Web serving necessities.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back