Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to hide the metric?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincon

MIS
Dec 24, 2002
CN
I need to build a report,the format is:

M_0301 M_0302 M_0303
prod_id Avg_price Avg_price Avg_price Max_price Min_price
1 9.8 9.9 10 11 9.5
2 14.4 14.5 14.8 15 14.5

In the report,the last month need three metric: Avg_price,Max_price,Min_price,but other month only need one metric Avg_price. Now I can build a report with three metric under every month,I want to hide metric Max_price,Min_price in months except the last month, but I don't know do it. Have other ways do above report?

Thanks&Regards

Yes with 7.2, on the Web you can enable column sizing. simply make a report with 3 calculations for each month, then, shrink the column size to none for the columns you don't want. You can save it this way I believe. I think you need the Web professional in order to do this.

Thanks
I do it but I don't know how to shrink the column size in web, I not find associated menu or button. Can you tell me do it detail.
Thanks again.

If you have OLAP services 7.2.2 you can use the report objects window and remove objects from the report.

Thank all answer.

Is OLAP statetenn said MDX Adapter?
I use ver7.2,I think it is enable to design my above report use mstr, please all professional suggest.

lincoln ,OLAP services different from MDX. use 7.2.2 cuz ti better.

I have update to mstr7.2.2,but not find olap services.
In web,I shrink column size,but all same columns size under the months attribute are shrinked too,but I want the columns(Avg_price,Max_price,Min_price) under the last month not shrink or hide. Z3,Can you tell me how do it?
Ashinmmalik,what is 7.2.2 cuz ti? I don't find it in mstr7.2.2,Can you tell me where is it?

Thanks a lot!

If you're looking for OLAP Services functionality in 7.2.2, you won't see it unless you have a license. Creating derived metrics, and new reports in web, all the cool stuff, requires the OLAP Services license. We thought we were going to get that as well, we're evaluating 7.2.2 right now. But we don't have a license for it. Check out this page for details on what you can do (Z3's post referred to Web Professional, which is the best version of web):

If you have Web Professional, which means you probably have a license for OLAP Services, then you can do what Z3 was suggesting above.

I can creating derived metrics and new reports in web,I have a license. Now I can change column width,but I want set column max_price and max_price of month M_0301 and M_0302 width as zero,but M_0303 month 's max_price and Min_price column width change zero also.
I want to know whethere mstr7i can create a unbanance report or not.cognos can easy do it.

Unfortunately, since you have three basic metrics that are being grouped by Month, you are stuck showing all 3 for each month.

The only way to create the report you are looking for is to create 5 seperate metrics; Avg Price Month1, Avg Price Month2, Avg Price Month3, Min Price Month 3, Max Price Month 3.

Yup, it's a pain in the ass but there's no way around it. Creating Custom Groups for the months won't work either. I'm hoping that when MicroStrategy's Report Writer becomes available (sometime in 2004 they say) this kind of formatting will be available.

Sorry about the bad news...
-Rich

Thank NaughtyVicar(MIS).
It is realy loss that Mstr don't create the usually report in fact requirement.
In Web,Writing XML & XSL can do what I said above?

That, I'm not sure about. It may be possible, but I'm not an XML/XSL writer.

Now that I think of it, there is, possibly, a way so as not to see those other metrics...it's a workaround and not the prettiest, but you might give it a try...Change the metric header and metric value color to the same color as the report background. It will then appear "invisible". Not an "elegant" solution but in a pinch it might suffice.

Give it a try

-Rich

Yeah, you could write an XSL to show only the columns you want. Not too hard to do if you have an understanding of XML/XSL. The best place to display this report would be in a doc object.

NaughtyVicar (MIS),thank your post.
I try it as you said:Change the metric header and metric value color to the same color as the report background.
But it will change all columns with the same metric,I don't see Max_price and Min_price of the month M_0303,they are blank too.

chael (Programmer),display the report in a documnet ,I think it can't create deriver metric and do a drill down.
I don't understand XSL/XML very clearly,Can you give me a sample code about it. thanks a lot

Hi lincon!

I can write the xsl code to you to hide the metric IN A DOCUMENT.
Just send me the xml code. To catch the xml, open the REPORT in the web and add &quot;&xml=1&quot;, then run it again. Finally, click at &quot;View&quot; in your Internet Explorer and choose &quot;Source&quot;. The xml code will be present in the end of file. It starts with &quot;<mi>&quot; and ends with &quot;</mi>&quot;.

I am online at inst msg cogubr@hotmail.com
(brazilian time).

Sincerely,
fukudahs

Hello,

I am at present working on 7.5 MSTR.
I have one Document object with two
reports on it. I want to get rid of
Heading (both report and column)
I am planning to use SmallType xsl.
Can you guide me where all do I make change
in this xsl to remove heading.