Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to hide Terminal Server Printers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGKWORK

IS-IT--Management
Apr 1, 2003
GB
Hi,

Anyone know of a way to hide the printers that are created on Terminal service sessions from terminal service users (other than changing security on each printer as they chop and change a lot)?

Basically users are currently able to login and change their printer to print off anywhere in the oprganisation which is not good.

Many thanks.

In the user account you can select the environment tab and uncheck printers. Also if the users are seeing other session printers then they have admin access.

Thanks for the reply however when I untick printers I lose the locally mapped printer which defeats the purpose.

Also - the user account only has security "Domain users", when you check each of the proprties of the printers they are all set to allow "Everyone" is allowed to view & print.

I know it looks like I should change the "Everyone" security but that means we will have to do this everytime a printer comes on line (and we will have around 150 of them!).

Any ideas?

Ok answer this how are the printers installed now, on the local pc? Please describe your network?

Sorry for the delay.

Our network:

We have schemes all over the country and they have locally installed printers.

We also have Office users who print to network installed printers.

When the scheme user logs in to Terminal services they see not only their own printer but everyone else's.

Just want to be able to let them see their own locally installed printer.

Many thanks.

Ok from my experience with TS the user has to have some type of admin privileges on the TS Server. In my old employers we used TS and never had this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back