Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Hide Inaccessible Folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobascojojo

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
US
I have a shared drive on a server that has many shared folders with different access privileges on each folder. Is it possible to make shared folders that are not accessible by a user to be hidden to that user so that the user doesn't have to sift through all the folders that he doesn't even have access to? Thanks in advance!

Append the share name with a $.

Jim

Jim Webber
Network Administrator MCSE CNA

Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I followed your advice but it seems as though I can still see a folder that is shared. For example, I have a folder named "testing". So I had the share name as testing$ and restricted access to people other than myself but I was still able to visibly see the folder on the drive. I couldn't browse the folder but I could see it. Am I doing something wrong here? I also tried $testing as the shared name but didn't work. Any ideas? Thanks!

If you create share for the parent directory you will see all folders under this directory. Better for move this folder to another place and create share with $.

Thanks Jim and igortsin for the help. It works now! =)

does this apply to the sysvol and netlogon shares? thanx in advance.

kazilian
Protector of Wazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back