Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to have 2 domains on one exchange 5.5 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoshie

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2001
AU
Hi all,
We have just bought 2 more domain names ... yay what fun.
Now the boss's want to have email addresses set up for the, you know the norm info@abc.com and sales@abc.com ...
We already have all of those set up with our existing setup info@xyz.com etc.
The host has set up the mail to point to our mail server here at 202.xxx.xxx.xxx. How do I go about adding in the information needed to get it up and running?
The normal person to do this is well on holidays for 2 months .. so I cant ask him :'(

Thanks in advance.
Yosh

The hardest part of this scenario is the DNS and your host took care of it for you. This ensures that when someone sends to info@xyz.com the SMTP mail actually gets sent to your machine for processing.

The next thing you'll need to do is setup new internet email addresses for the accounts you want using these new domains. For every address you want accepted their, of course, needs to be a mailbox configured to accept mail destined for that address.

As long as the mail comes to your server (the MX is taken care of by your host so it should), it will accept any inbound mail matching an email address it has in it's database.

Now this is assuming you have allowed the appropriate traffic types through your firewall. I see that you had a domain functional before so I am assuming this is not an issue.

Thanks jzakora,
will see what happens .. hope it will go ok

yep, it's not too bad,

Sounds like your DNS is already setup for you

Now you have to tell your exchange server to accept mail for *@abc.com then add the new domain as an alias to existing accounts for example:
already there is a info@xyz.com so go into this mailbox's properties and then click email address tab, then new internet address and input the info@abc.com.

Now this mailbox will accept mail to both info@xyz.com & info@abc.com

This should get you up and running and your boss off your back,

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back