Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to handle concurrency 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Germancho

Programmer
Jul 9, 2003
VFP 8.0 SP1

Windows XP Professional

Buffering set to 5

MULTILOCKS set to ON

I have a parent table (Invoices, PK: prefix + number) and a child table (Products, Normal Key: (prefix + number) with a one-to-many relation based on these common fields. The rules in the RI are set to Cascade (Update), Cascade (Delete) and Ignore (Insert).

In addition, I have a table (Consecutive) to keep the last number of the last invoice saved.

As several users can be using the invoice form simultaneously, I have a function to assign the invoice’s number:

FUNCTION fConsecutive (lcPrefix)
LOCAL lcArea, lcNumber

lcArea = SELECT()

SELECT Consecutive
SEEK (lcPrefix)
IF FOUND()
lcNumber = TRANS(VAL(MAX(Number, CURVAL('Number', 'Consecutive'))) + 1, "@L 99999999")
ELSE
lcNumber = '00000001'
ENDIF

REPLACE Number WITH lcNumber

SELECT (lcArea)
RETURN lcNumber
ENDFUNC

Both the server and the client show me the same number. What am I doing wrong? What's the best way to handle concurrency?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Germán Restrepo
Bogotá, Colombia

Germancho,

Your problem is that you have set the Consecutive table's buffer mode to 5, which gives you optimistic locking. This means that you can't prevent two people grabbing the same invoice number.

It would be better to switch off buffering for that table. Instead, use FLOCK() to lock it just before you do the seek, and UNLOCK it after the replace. If you set REPROCESS reasonably high, you will prevent simulaltaneous updates without the users being aware of it.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Thanks a lot Mike Yearwood and Mike Lewis. Your answers really help me. A star for both of you.

Germán Restrepo
Bogotá, Colombia

Germancho,

Glad to be of help.

Actually, I just re-read my post. It occurred to me that it might be more efficient for you to use RLOCK() rather than FLOCK(), and to do that before the REPLACE, rather than before the SEEK. The other details would be the same as in my previous post.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back