Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Group 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnbb7

Technical User
Jun 6, 2006
US
Hi, I am a new InDesign CS2 user. I inherited a newsletter that has a calendar composed of individual text boxes, one for each day of the month. I sometimes have to move the location of the calendar a little and tried to group the text boxes so I could move it as a group, instead of having to move each box.

I used the Rectangular Frame Tool to draw a box around the calendar boxes, but when I click on Object the Group option is not highlighted. I'm sure there must be a simple explanation, but I have been unable to find it in the Help or this forum.

Thank you for any help,
John

'Group' is found in the program's help. As with any other program, you need to draw a selection (not another frame) around the objects to group them.

You may have better luck using a table instead of individual text boxes for the calendar.

Thank you, drawing a selection did it. If this doesn't work out, I will try using a table.

I had looked at the help text before, but now when I click on Help (or press PF1) I don't get any help. The Adobe Help Center task shows on the task bar, but nothing appears on my screen, even when I click on it on the task bar. I don't know if I don't have enough memory, or if there is some other problem.

Thanks again,
John

John

If you're trying to learn more about tables then here are two sources of useful training material.

(a) Before & After 'Page Design' book ( this is an outstanding book - that has a section on tables - and the PDF subscription articles of Before & After are also superb.

(b) Indesign magazine July 2006 had an article all about tables.

I have no commercial interest in either of these sources. But one or both may save you time and frustration in getting a handle on tables.

Finally if Indesign causes you trouble then you may wish to reset its preferences...hold down Ctrl+Option+Command+Shift while Indesign loads. This may well help your problem with lack of help facility.

Good luck
Ross

Ross,

Thank you. I'll check out the tables articles and try resetting the preferences.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back