Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Group Certain Fields Together and Not repeat headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2003
US
I have a report in Access that I would like to group a certain way, but don't know how. This is how the report currently reads:

Name SSN Education Location Country

Club A xx xx xx xx xx

Name SSN Education Location Country
Club A XX XX XX XX XX

What I would like to do is for everyone that belongs to Club A to be grouped accordingly on the report, but not have the Club A, Name, SSN, Education, Location, Country headings repeat itself unless the person belongs in different club (i.e Club B). I am new to Access so any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

I would check that in the report, there is a group on the club name (or whatever field that is), then on the query underlying the report - be it SQL code or a stored query, make sure it is set to sort on the Club name, so that all club A's come up, then all club B's etc.

Basically, if running the query that underlies the report produces data out in the incorrect order, it will come out in the wrong order on the report.

If the report takes its data straight from the table, with no query or SQL code involved, I would create a query with sorting to ensure that it gets outputted in the correct order, then set the report's recordsource to this query.

John

To Group By a certain field, you open the report in Design View. On the Menu bar go to View...Sorting and Grouping. In the box on the Field/Expession line insert your Club field. Then in the properties box set Header to Yes. Then move your Club textbox to that Header. This will group by Club and put everyone who is in Club A together and everyone who is in Club B together, etc.

Paul

Thanks all! I was able to get the report to read the way I wanted by doing the sorting and grouping option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back