Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to give my Intranet a name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noizz

Technical User
Jan 25, 2004
BE
Hi,

I installed win2k server
I made a Domain controller of it
and installed IIS

now when I typ: i can see my intranet website.

my question: I don't know how to change the LOCALHOST to something more understandable? Like or something like that :)

is it possible to do that?
how do I do that?

thx in advance
Noizz

So long as your intranet is the default web site, all you would need to do is type in
If you want to give it a different name, create a CNAME entry in your DNS server and point it to your server.

If you want to give it a different name, create a CNAME entry in your DNS server and point it to your server.

how do I do that? :)

thx in advance
Noizz

Go into DNS manager. Right click on the forward lookup zone. Choose new CNAME.

In the box type what you want your intranet to be called. Where it asks for the server name give it the FQDN of your server or browse to your server.

hi, thanks for your reply. It did work :)

now, i still got a question:

When I start up my server, and open IE and typ: it gives an 404 error. When I dail my internet connection, and I try to typ: the website I made pops up.

isn't there a way, to disable internet-dialing? So I can view my intranet website when I'm offline?

second question: how do I give Users rights?

greetz
Noizz

thx in advance !

you can give users right either by allowing anonymous connections (in default website properties) or specifying which users or groups you want to have access using NTFS permissions on the folder that contains the web page(s).

ok, i'll try that.

I still got the problem I have to dail in before I can use my intranet. Some solutions for this?

greetz
Noizz

If you have a proxy then you will want to check the box to Bypass the Proxy Server for local addresses under the connection settings in IE.

You should also verify the IP address settings for your web site. In IIS right click the web site and choose properties. On the Web Site tab check what IP is selected. It is either a specific IP or "All Unassigned."

Going with a specific IP is often the best solution if you plan to have more than one site. Clicking onthe advanced tab near the IP Address will allow you to set a Host Header so you can name your server something else which I believe you have already done. I'd just refer to the site by this and forget about localhost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back