Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Ghost my machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdang

Vendor
Aug 2, 2001
US
Ok, I had another post where I asked how to backup my machine, so when I do a reinstall it is easier, and was told to prep the machine then ghost it.

Several questions:
I kind of know what ghosting means (I did a search of this forum) but still haven't seen directions on how to do it. Plus, how do I boot into DOS if we are running Win2K? Somebody else told me to do it.

Second, how do I prep the machine for ghosting? I see sysprep mentioned and that it is a Microsoft utility, do I have it already or do I need to purchase/download?

Lastly, I see talk of getting in trouble because of SID problems? I still don't quite understand this yet, but I am still reading. If it helps, I am not on a network with this machine yet, just broadband cable modem.

Sorry, I am so lost with this new stuff, I just discovered this forum and it is great!!!! Thanks ahead of time for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

jdang

Hi jdang,

Yes - for what i know Ghost is a third party program you'll have to buy.

to start up in dos from w2k isn't as easy as in w9x. you'll have to boot from a startup disk.

I have ghosted my NT and w2k machine sevelra times without doing anything else then just ghosting ita, and it didn't give problems.

JDang

Ghost is a third party program produced by Norton, licensing is done on a per machine ghosted basis.

Ghost will allow you to set up a multicast server which is where you will store the ghosted images. This server has a wizard that will help you create a DOS boot disk.

You need to run Sysprep of another program like it after you have completed a workstation build that you are happy with. Once you have run Sysprep the machine will shut down.

The Sysprep utility will change all the unique things like SIDs and release of IP address etc......

Its quite simple to do, just done try to over complicate things and you will be OK.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back