Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get WWN for STK9940 drives on Solaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjdes

Technical User
Jan 10, 2003
US
Hi,

I have a Timberwolf with numerous 9940A and 9940B drives.
They change/are replaced according to failures, and I am now trying to get the WWN from STK9940 drives in a Timberwolf silo. I have no direct access to the drives as they are over 30 miles away. Is there a way to interrogate the drives on Solaris to get the WWN?

Thank you,

JdS

If these drives are over 30 miles away, you should be able to check the Switch to see the WWN Flogi.

Thanks for the quick input all.

I tried the luxadm probe - nothing found.
The storage chappies here say the SAN switches say nothing...
unless they don't know the command to see what wwn's are on which port - which I don't currently know. The GUI doesn't show this info. We're using 2 types of switches - brocade for B drives and mcdata for A drives.

I tried some other (obscure) Solaris commands which apparently show wwn's but not on our systems/configs.

Does anyone know what commands can be used on the switches to display the device WWN's?

What kind of HBAs and which drivers do you use (SUNs QLC , JNI, Emulex LPFC, Qlogic QL?, ...)? The tapes are visible as local tape drives /dev/rmt/* on your sun, aren't they?
With SUNs QLC you could try [tt]cfgadm -al -o show_FCP_dev[/tt], with Emulex [tt]lputil[/tt], with JNI [tt]/opt/jni/ezfibre/standalone/ezf[/tt].
Did you use WWN based zoning on the switches and after changing the drives the zones simply do not match and the drives are not visible to the server?

Huebs,

I have Sun's Q-logics 2200 HBA's.
I have already tried the "cfgadm -al -o show_FCP_dev", but the response was very slow and blank - nothing besides the column hadings. However, I will try again in the morning (when I get back to the office.)

McData: [tt]show port status[/tt]
Brocade: [tt]switchShow[/tt]

Regards,
Huebs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back