Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get Win98SE on a rebuilt system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRedwood

Technical User
Jun 17, 2004
US
So I'm usually a Mac person, but someone gave me a busted PC and I've been thinking of getting it working as a spare. Since it's only 700MHz, I thought I'd run Win98 instead of XP.

But I anticipate a few problems getting it running:

1) It was a Compaq Presario in it's former life, and I've got Compaq's emergency disk, but...

2) It was the mobo that failed, so I'll be installing a new (prob. used) one: would it be recognized by the emergency disk? Because...

3) The HD was reclaimed by the chap that gave me the box, and I'll be using an empty disk I had lying around -- i.e., no Windows on the HD, so it needs a clean install.

Presumably the new mobo won't work with the Compaq CD. So do I buy a new set of install CDs? What does the term 'OEM' mean in this context -- is that what I want? Does the fact that the machine has the Win98SE holo sticker on the back do me any good?

Thanks for any advice...

OEM software is 'original equipment manufacturers'. It's usually cheaper than a full retail software pack since its supposed to be bundled with a computer system or hard drive (lots of places will sell it alone anyway though.) Since you're changing the m-board OEM is probably the cheapest.

Download a 98 bootdisk from and if it works and sees everything you should be good to go.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

So the OEM version is the one that is tailored to an individual mfg's hardware. Presumably this means the mobo, right? Since all other components are standardized commodities.

But if I get my replacement mobo used, say, from eBay, then where would I get an appropriate OEM CD set from?

Or are, somehow, all OEM distributions effective? In which case, what exactly is the difference between OEM and 'retail'?

Thx.

The CDs are all the same so far as the OS is concerned. They are OEM because support comes from the system manufacturer rather than MS. They are licensed to go with the machine. They were sold to the manufacturer at a very low price so the manufacturer could sell the computers at a low price. And they may have some piece of software that identifies the hardware to force use with specific hardware.

Retail is licensed to the purchaser and can be transferred to somebody else without being tied to some equipment. Support from MS.

If you are getting a Compaq M/B you should be able to use the restore disk. Those are almost certain to have identification software active.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

OEM & FULL CD's want to see the absense of windows on the hard drive as opposed to Upgrade CD's which will install either way (on an empty hard drive you would need to "show" it a valid upgrade product during the install)

If you get the "appropriate" motherboard for that model then the recovery version you have should work fine. They are usually tied to the model number stored in the BIOS.

To add to this, know that any mobo you buy will very likely be accompanied by a CD containing any drivers not present in the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back