Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get variable's value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

desaivar

Programmer
Jul 6, 2009
US
Hi there,

I am constructing one sql statement in variable and want to execute the sql statement.

What I want to achieve is, I want to store value of testID of second record in one vaiable called @testID.

Following is the code,

declare @strQuery varchar(4000)
declare @testID varchar(6)

set ROWCOUNT 2

Set @strQuery ='SELECT @testID=TestID from dbo.vwBLT_SearchResultsAllDataTest'

exec(@strQuery)

print @testID

But it gives me following error,

Must declare the variable '@testID'.

The fact is if I don't store sql statement in @strQuery variable and directly execute sql statement such as below it gives me @testID value.

set ROWCOUNT 2
select @testID=TestID from dbo.vwBLT_SearchResultsAllDataTest
print @testID

but I want it in first way because I am constructing 'where' condition based on various criteria's which would be attached to above select sql statement so I need to keep whole sql statement in variable.

Is there any way I can get value for @testID by keeping whole sql statement in @strQuery variable or any other way to achieve solution?

I am struggling with this issue since from so many days and now it is urgent. Your help would be really appreciated.

I changed the table name to something I have but this seems to work (put the declare in the string)

Code:
declare @strQuery varchar(4000)

set @strquery = 'declare @testID int set ROWCOUNT 2 
select @testID=pkClaim  from claim
print convert(varchar,@testid)'

exec(@strQuery)

declare @strQuery nvarchar(4000)

set ROWCOUNT 2

Set @strQuery =N'SELECT @testIDOut=TestID from dbo.vwBLT_SearchResultsAllDataTest'

sp_executesql @strQuery, N'@testIDOut VARCHAR(6) OUTPUT', @testIDOut = @testID OUTPUT

print @testID

It is working with the help of sp_executesql statement.

Thanks for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back