Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get rid of spam 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakhan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2000
Hi folks

we are receiving huge amount of Spam in our mailboxes. every mailbox is filled with hundereds of spam. could you please suggest any solution.

or any anti-spam software for this?

thanks

Jahangir

Do a Keyword Search for "spam" and start reading.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

We use GFI Mail Essentials here for Anti-spam and it works great. It stops most but not all of it. One or two still sneak thgough. Lots of power and flexibility plus good support and support forums.

greese

jakhan

I used a program call POPcon. It works really well. you can list the dns of as many Antispam servers and cut it down. I was getting about 100 spams a day and now I get nothing. The software retails for about $99 dollars

The Matrix Has you !

POPcon sounds like a POP mail product. Does it work on Exchange server?

Second thumbs up for GFi Mail Essentials. I'm trapping 20% of all emails - the bulk of all our spam...

yes, it works on exchnage and I have 100 % of my spam stopped!

It also Virus scans every email as well

The Matrix Has you !

Matrixa,

What is your "False Positive" rate with POPcon?

Thanks,

Wyz

Wyz

False Postives, Right now, none. I have been running the software for about two weeks and nothing but great things. All my spam is stopped and we have not had any email problems.

The Matrix Has you !

Looking at the info from the website, can't quite figure this statement out:

"POPcon downloads the emails from POP3 mailboxes and distributes them to exchange mailboxes according to the recipient information found in the mail headers."

My users email isn't in a POP3 mailbox on some distant server, it's on my Exchange server. So how does this program work if the email isn't on an external POP3 server somewhere?

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

If it is on Exchange, you can either use a VPN or RPC over HTTP (needs XP Pro and Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003).

last week we deployed an I-mail server on our dmz in front of the exchange server. all mail is now being routed to that server then via a secure conection to the exchange server. This solved two problems
1 - isolate the exchange server
2 anti spam.
As Admin my spam was above 1000 per day. With some minor tweeking it is now at 10 and those will now be gone. False postives - None in 5 days

The guy who signs the checks is Very Happy!

I use SpamAssassin and have been happy with it.

Allancsr

I am going to do the same thing with the relay option. I am installing a checkpoint firewall this weekend and want to relay emails from a dmz server to exchange. I herd that linux would be the best os to run a relay server. what are your thoughts.

The Matrix Has you !

Linux is a fine operating system. I have no experience with it. I have just loaded (last night) my first Linux op systme on an older box to start learning.
I am using all Win 2 K servers and it works great.
We have a Cisco Pix firwall that works EXCELLENT on the sepration of DMZ an permision between.
My overall thoughts , Use the operting system you are most comfoprtable with for that will be one less variable
( yes i have a keen sence of the obvious ) LOL

good luck and remember to leave both domains example
mail.xyz.com and clean.xyz.com ips availbel via the respective fire wall till the new dns propogates it took yahoo mail 4 days to strat using the new address

thansk
alaln

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back