Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to get rid of Automatically assigned IP? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp110

MIS
Apr 19, 2004
US
how can I get rid of the automatically assigned (192.169.x.x) IP one of my machines always loads with and won't connect to DHCP for a generated IP?

comp110,
what do you mean automatically assigned? dhcp is auto assign. do you mean static? if so, right click my network places - local area connection - properties - tcp/ip - properties - check obtain ip automatically. the from a dos prompt type ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew.
hth

regards,
longhair

I have done all that you've mentioned here already. I want it to grab the IP automatically from DHCP, but it won't do it because it has that default IP (169.x.x.x) stuck in it.
It's the IP windows assigned to the pc when there's none assigned and DHCP is not enabled.

A 169.254.x.x is an APIPA address.

Either you don't have connectivity, or the DHCP server is refusing service. Is there a DHCP log that you can check on the server?

If no clues from the server, check the LSP / Winsock subsystem.

If XP RTM or Service Pack 1:
1. Backup and delete the following registry keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
2. Reboot.
3. Open the network connections folder, right click your network connection, and click Properties.
4. Click Install | Protocol | Add.
5. Click "Have Disk...", type "\windows\inf" in the box, and click OK.
6. Click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", then click OK.
7. Reboot.

If XP SP2:
1. Start - Run - "cmd".
2. Type "netsh winsock reset catalog" into the command window.

Give LSP-Fix < WinsockFix < or WinsockXPFix < a shot.

If no help yet, reset TCP/IP.

Start - Run - "cmd". Type "netsh int ip reset c:\netsh.txt" into the command window.

Cheers,

Chuck

Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response to experience.

Thank you Cacroll, I just read some of the articles from the Microsoft website you sent me and I think I may have found the answer.

Thanks for the update. Please do let us know what the resolution is, when you're done.

Cheers,

Chuck

Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response to experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back