Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get physical disk (spindel) info for the sym devices 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vptl

Technical User
Jan 22, 2004
US
Hello,
Please let me know the command (If any available) to find out the (mapping) physical spindels for any give sym devices.

I tried to run symconfig -sid <> show xxxx | grep -i director number
also tried to grep the hyper # .
But do not make any sance.! . I got a devices xyz on Disk director abc with hyper#6 and other sym device with same information also.
I know emc do not want admins to do this type of research but it is quite interesting for troubleshooting.

Thanks,
vptl.

Hi,
if you use the symdisk command
./symdisk -sid 103 -v -hypers list | more
you will get a breakdown of each physical disk and the logical devices or hypers on each physical.
all the best,
Colin

This is really great information. Thanks a lot Culainn.

-vptl.

Have a look on the service processor of the box.
If you need the commands let me know.

How and what to look on sp. ? We do not have (as a SAN admin) access to any SP !. We only look/communicate via ecc host.

the service processor is the laptop inside the symmetrix box. It's used by customer engineer from EMC or someone who knows this box internally as steveyuk & me.

For customer ECC is used.

Cheers.

I don't think there are any rules that prohibits the customer looking at the service processor. I know of DR companies who write their own bin files and load them too by using the SP.
Anyone know any different ?

I agree with you steveyUK, there are no rules, but I think you agree with me that is quite dangerous issue commands in the inlines if you don't know what are you doing.

Regarding to your comment of "companies who write their own bin files" YES, in fact I have created lots and lots of bin files and loaded it to symm boxes, including BCV, SRDF, InfoMover, etc, etc... that's why I know that is dangerous to enter commands blind (with no knowledge I mean).

Do you agree with me? I'm not prohibiting, I'm nobody to do that, but I think I help more if I prevent it.

Just as note, I helped to a customer in another region to resolve a problem, I can not dial in to the box, so I gave him instruction (inline commands) through chat! fortunately everything was good.

Cheers.

Hi,
I believe in later levels of microcode there is a warning on the SP screen stating something along the lines that the use of the diagnostic utilities within the symmwin environment is proprietary and legal action can be taken if you are caught. The symmetrix retains logs of when the SP was used and whether it was a local or remote login, any commands that are entered are kept in a logfile on the symmetrix SP and are also recorded in a NVD buffer. If something goes wrong you have no comeback,
all the best,
Colin

oops forgot to add that with the new DMX there is a sensor insode the door that triggers an environmental alarm if the door is opened.

Colin,
I agree there are some warnings but I don't believe this means you cannot look at things or run commands if you wish to. Especially if you own the box. The mcode is proprietry so it means you cannot alter it, reverse engineer it or copy it etc.
Any way I think we know each other ...to be sure!!

All the best.

Steve

Hi Colin or anyone else,

On the SP.

Do you know where the log is for the dialogue on the chat screen? I thought the chat stuff was logged but I can't seem to find it. I originally thought it was in the log_a log but it isn't.

Cheers,

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back