Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get MS Access to use my Builder DLLs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuilderSpec

Programmer
Dec 24, 2003
GB
Hi

Have written my own DLL for other purposes and have seen that in MS Access you can call DLL functions by using

Declare Sub MessageBeep Lib "User32" (ByVal N As Long)
( above is from the help file )

This seems to work well for VB created DLLs, mine is created with Borland C++ Builder. What do I need to do to make it work in Access like the standard windows ones ? I can;t register the DLL cos it has no RegisterServer code and i wouldn't know what to put in there anyhow ? Help ?

Cheers

Hope this helps!

Regards

BuilderSpec

Forget it..unless there is a convert utility apparently it can;t be done since borland and Microsoft write their DLLs completely different and never the twain shall meet !

Hope this helps!

Regards

BuilderSpec

as far I got it (and I can be wrong),
visual basic can create COM DLLS
(thread222-1293832 recent thread on subject).
But the example you providing -
Declare Sub MessageBeep Lib "User32" (ByVal N As Long)
- is another kind of DLL, that VB normally could not do.
("windows Dll")
I think that if you create this type of DLL then you could connect it to Access without much trouble.

What exactly do you want to do with MS Access? Maybe there is an other solution.

Hi PiSymbol

I have some processing that my access database does and I have rewritten that part of it in C++ and it runs X times faster which is good. I wanted to create a DLL from my executable and run that..

I have tried to run it as an executable and it works, except you can see the program run , so i made it so the program doesn;t appear in the task bar etc... that works ok but i thought that a DLL would be better /faster.

The actual solution that I wanted was this. I have a form that shows the documetns in a network directory and all the subdirectories. I used the access filesearch util which populates a database table which the form then shows, all works lovely except the filesearch is really slow ( prob due to network ) . Rewriting the same functionality in C++ runs a lot faster ( almost immediate ). I was really looking for a nice way to integrate an executable program into my access db, thought DLL's would be good .

Hope this helps!

Regards

BuilderSpec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back