Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get MS Access Forms to the web quick and inexpenxive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dataplayer

Programmer
Jan 11, 2003
US
I have a database with a lot of forms built (simple ones) and wish to move them on to the web. But I am new to the .asp web page programming. Up to now, I have hired some pros to build the pages using DreamWeaver. These two forms took almost a year to move on to the web and there are a lot of bugs. The projects cost me a lot of money and wasted time on me to report and test bugs. Can anyone show me how to easily and directly convert these forms to .asp pages or just something that can collect data (The users have to login and submit requests or apply, sometimes change or update info, etc.). That's all I need. I don't need much fancy features. Thanks.

Frank

Again, here's the concept:
Since all the data you need is resident in the database, all you need to do is pull it from it with .asp .

Place your database on the server and create a connection to it either DSN-Less or a DSN whichever you want.

Create a simple asp page with an SQL statement pulling all the data from whichever tables you desire just to display it on the screen (thus your first asp page)

Then if you want, you can make a particular field a link to where users can edit the records from that particular record on the link (with me so far?) by adding the ?edit=ID and on the page that this is being linked to, simply request all the field relevant to the url ID you just passed. (Again some knowledge of SQL is required)

Once this edit is running, you simply submit the page to a processing .asp page wich again will contain SQL statements which tell the database which record to update.

An finally since all the information you need, have and has been updated is on the database, all you need to do is simply display it (by pulling it with SQL of course) in any format you wish.

The end

------------------------------------------------------------

An SQL Intro:

Adding records to a database thru .ASP:

Database tutorials:

Viewing and Printing Access Reports with ASP and/or VisualBasic

This should get you going in no time.

pinky1.jpg width='75' height='75'
[/tt]
056.jpg

Thanks for the info. It's going to take me a while to figure all this out since I am new. I just started learning about database not very long ago and progress slowly due to the limited time I can devote to it. In the mean time, I am very eager to get the ball rolling. I think I need to hire someone to get the thing started. Could you leave me your email address so that I can contact you for further advice? Mine is frankcheng@adelphia.net. Thanks.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back