Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get MBR copy to overwrite current MBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dostani

MIS
Jul 26, 2002
US
Running XP Pro, NTFS file system. I know FDISK wont touch ntfs files system and a household member installed linux on a second HD. So lilo/Grub is booting want to get it out and reformat 2nd fresh. Yet the system hangs if linux not found.

Please help or advise.....

I think it's format /mbr

But PLEASE, Look it up, don't want to be responsible for anything that happens.

Patrick

If you use the XP recovery console, there is a console command that will recreate the MBR. I think there is one called fixboot and one that that is for the MBR. When you get to the recovery console, just type help for a list of commands. It is fairly easy.

-DJ

fdisk /MBR will sort things if the filestore is FAT32

Otherwise, use Recovery Console and FIXMBR command.

Hi
I may be way off, but can't you change the boot sequence in Bios so HD1 loads first? Then go to disk managment and reformat from there.
Good luck!

"Walking the dunes of Samsara.

This wont help once GRUB is loaded. GRUB takes over the boot sectors.

-DJ

All good input but to address this properly....

Format /MBR yes that would work but wouldn't that format the existing c: which would have XP on it?
And yes I could do that to the D: drive but c: which already has grub sitting on the MBR would not boot because its looking for Linux.

FDISK /MBR will work and solve the problem but if you notice I stated I am using NTFS file system not FAT32 there FDISK can't recogize the MBR record.

Changing the BIOS to boot to the secondary drive to reformat won't work because the primary drive would still be looking for linux.

Here another question, I understand that XP has a utility called FIXMBR.EXE any clues to where this is located or directry on the XP CD????

Thanks for everyone's input thus far.

Hi,
I strongly advise you to make a backup of your XP system partition before attempting anything with recovery console repair of the MBR. I had an unfortunate experience with that recently after Ghost 2003 had done something to the MBR and when I attempted recovery console repairs I got a warning message that the edit was not advised. I proceeded anyway. Result: system hosed, reinstall of OS necessary. Be careful.

You may want to look at the problem from the Linux side of things. Perhaps during the Linux installation GRUB or LILO makes a copy of the old MBR before changing it and stores it somewhere in the Linux distro. Worth a check, IMHO.

--torandson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back