Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get list of partition names

Status
Not open for further replies.

usawinters

Programmer
Jun 21, 2001
IE
Hi, guys!
I am beginner with Solaris. I have a question:
I have 2 partitions first one is Active second one I created 10 minutes ago and I don't know how to get partition name and format it.
Sorry for stuped questions.
Thank you.

df -k will show mounted partitions on all disks
format can show you ALL the partitiions on each disk, but it works one disk at a time The one thing you can't give for your heart's desire is your heart. - Lois McMaster Bujold

Problem is partition is not mounted as I don't know how to get partition name.
Thank you

Dear,
u may try the mount command to show the mounted drives and format command to see all the configured drives and mount partitions.
Best Regards,
- Vijay Guneta

The partition should have a name like /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3.
In order to mount it, you must create a file system.
Use the newfs command---check the man page.
Once you have a file system, you can mount the partition on any non-mounted directory(suggest you create one with mkdir).
Do this:

#mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0sX /mydir

also the format command should be able to tell you what the partition device name is. It will ask you which disk to partition. Notice the names like c0t0d0. Go into the partition section next and use the print option. From there you will be able to determine the slice/partition to complete the device name (/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0)

don't forget to do the newfs on the device name of the second partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back