Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get IP of baystack 350 T24 just now the MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

klabaza

MIS
Aug 3, 2005
Hi people.

Look we have 4 switches baystack 350 24T, i was trying to know the IP of each one, but i only found 1 IP and is the switch we have on the server room, i start using ethereal and see if i could found that info but only get the MAC address.

Them i google about how to get the IP from the MAC but no result.

Is really important to get this info, them exist some way to get the IP of each switch, using the MAC address or another road or tool???

Thanks all for your time!!!

One way to do it is if you know where its connecting to on the other end. Say its an 8610 or something like that, then you can Use Device Manager - IP - ARP tab. This will show you what IP's and MAC's are on each port.

You may want to ping the subnet its one, if you can find that.. that way its more likely to show up on your ARP table entries.

If you can reboot the switches while running a sniffer you should see one of the things they do while coming up is to send out an ARP with their IP address - they're checking that no one else is using their IP address.

All the Nortel Switches should send out BTDP packets. This will advertise the IP addres of the unit. You can use sniffer to pick these up. It is on multicast address. That is profided that it has not been switched off.
Hope this helps

IP address for network switch mainly for network management.
Use a RS-232 connect to the console port at BS350-24T is only way to assign IP address.

Status.

I have been trying everything you told to me guys.
OmegaVTX:

Yes the server switch is the only one that i know his IP, and only show me the MAC address of his Ports not the IP.

I ping the subnet those 4 switches dont show up, because i know wich IP we have in our LAN.

I use nmap to map all my subnet but only show me IP that i know. Iam thinking that maybe those switches dont have the IP enable or have been hack...:-?

jimbopalmer: I install the programa you told me but i try to setup, dont connect even to my good switch.

anthonyanderberg: I try that during the morning before people start to work, i turn off the switch connect my laptop, start Ethereal but didnt see any IP that i didnt know. What i see a lot is the protocol STP between the switch but that one only use the MAC address.

panhat: I have been sniffing our network and i have not seen any protocol BTDP.

norteldude78: I try to donwload CAIN&ABEL but symantec after finish donwloading the file it say that it was a Trojan Horse and deleted...wooops!!!

m1227: Is what iam trying to do right now, i still cannot send any command to the switch, i still continue trying to use the serial port.

I have been doing a lot of things here to detect the IP's of 4 switches, trying your tips, iam thinking that maybe we have been hack :-?.

If you have something else on your tools i will apreciated, i will continue this and inform you guys, thanks all for your help.

Greetings.

If it didn't send out any ARP broadcasts at bootup I'd say it probably doesn't have an IP address configured. Since its just a layer 2 device it doesn't really need an IP address to pass traffic, only for management functions.

Getting the console serial port working is your best bet to find out for sure. By default these devices use a straight-through cable (not null modem) 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity bits, and one stop bit. You'll probably have to do a Ctrl-Y enorder to get a password prompt.

Sorry, AV's may get CAIN... : /

Any other arp scanner might do. Or do a ping sweep, then check your ARP table (If these switches have IP addresses, this is easy), the thing about CAIN is it will tell you what brand makes the device based on the first 6 digits of the MAC, i.e Nortel, Bay Networks....

do a google for 'free arp scanner' or 'superscan'

peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back