Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get DNS for WAN address

Status
Not open for further replies.

elijah01

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
US
Ok, I posted here before but I am again having problems trying to get my WAN address correctly set to domain name. I am running win 2000 advance server behind a Linksys router. My win 2000 machine has only 1 NIC in it connecting to my router which is connected to my DSL modem. I am also running a IIS on this same machine. My win 2000 machine has a private address of 192.168.1.3. My ISP which is sprint does not do any record changes for their DSL customers and believe me went had it out over the phone. So, I am left to resolve my own dsn to my static ip address. But the problem i am having is when i setup the dns server it gives me a host record of 192.168.1.3. I created another host within the same zone with my public address. Then I created all my aliases, mx and any other records and point them to the public ip address i just created before them. But, when i reload the public and disappears. So, I am left in the cold. How do I setup the dns so other dns server will only see my public address instead of the private address. I went to dnsreport.com and for some odd reason it show my record with my private address. I also have my router configured to all the correct ports for forwarding to this machine so the problem is not with router but dns server. How do I setup my dns server for my intranet and internet? Its resolving to private Ip instead of public address. Thanks in advance!!!

Be honest, I dont want nobody else to resolve my domain name because I plan to host others also and I would like to resolve for them also. I had a whole year of training with Cisco and none for MS Server. I need the experience so I can look ahead hopefully to a better future. So, I really need to get this answer answered. I do appreciate all your help you can offer.

Well ppl I actually found a way to resolve my domain name to my public ip address that is behind a router/firewall. it is very simple, 1st. you right click on network places and go to properties. 2nd, you go to the properties of your WAN NIC (if you have one then choose that one if two choose the one that is attached to the router/wan) then choose tcp/ip then properties. 3rd, go to advance at bottom right and another window opens. in the tab of ip setting you have 2 boxex one for ip addresses and one for default gateways. in the ip addresses you can actually add more than one address to a nic on your server that is behind a firewall/router. what i did was added my wan address in there also with subnet mask. then went into dns and created new zone with wizard and boom the public address was the only address that appeared. and now it works perfectly.

Please disregard last reply i read back to another thread i ask about a month ago and that answered my question on the dot. Boy, you talk about errors I had an I-d-10-t error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back