Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get all the tables refered by a particular Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalleima

Programmer
Feb 13, 2003
IN
Hi

How can we get all the tables refered by a particular Table Thourgh a SQL query? For eg T1 is the Parent table of T2, How can we get T1 corresponding to T2 through a query.

Hi,
Could you give an example of a query that explains your question?

In general you can join tables by a common key field like
select * from T1, T2 where T1.field = T2.field;

[profile]

Hi,

Execute the following query to find out the reference tables of your given parent table.

SELECT * FROM ALL_CONSTRAINTS
WHERE R_CONSTRAINT_NAME IN(
SELECT CONSTRAINT_NAME FROM ALL_CONSTRAINTS
WHERE TABLE_NAME='<parent_table>')

Regards,
Raj

Thank U all for all your consideration but I think I have found it. Its somthing like this:

select table_name from all_constraints where CONSTRAINT_NAME in (
select R_CONSTRAINT_NAME from all_constraints where CONSTRAINT_TYPE='R'
and upper(table_name) like upper('T2'))

Suppose if T1 is the parent table of T2 then This Query will give us T1 as a result. But still this Query is taking some time. Any suggestion to optimise this query and to make it more efficient is wellcomeed.

Thank U Raj but with your query we can only identify the table manually, Actually I have to embede this query in our application and needed the exact Table Name.

I think Raj didn't quit get the Question. It is actually opposite what U R doing I wanted the parent Table name by giving the Child Table.

Your query uses functions and that prevents indexes from being used..Since all table names are upper_case in Oracle ( unless you created them badly)
you should be able to eliminate the
Code:
and upper(table_name) like upper('T2'))
and just use
Code:
and table_name = 'T2')

[profile]

Hi lalleima,

Yes, you are right. I defined that query in reverse order. I hope it would helpful as a hint.

Regards,
Raj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back