Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to get 56K Connection in RAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpor

Technical User
Nov 29, 2000
GB
Situation:
I have RAS Server setup on a Compaq Deskpro 200 with 64MB RAM and 2 GB Disk. This is running NT4 Server on SP6a.

The RAS service is running fine.

The problem I have is connection with the MODEM.
Currently the MODEM is a USR 56K FAX External MODEM. Everytime I connect with another 56K MODEM I can only get a connection of 33.6. I have recently flashed upgraded the MODEM to the V.90 spec. And still the same.
ANy ideas ? I know when you connect to an ISP you can usually get 45 - 48Kbs connection.

This would be dependent upon both sides of the connection, in relation to how far they are from the telephone switch. One thing you can check on your end, and I'm assuming these are both NT boxes, is in control panel --> ports. Check the settings for the COM port of your modem.

Greg013. The COM port that the MODEM is connected to is set at 115200 baud. And the Handshaking is set to Hardware.

I have tried connecting to the MODEM in-house using the exact same model of MODEM and flashed to the V.90 standard.
But the best connection I can obtain is still 33.6.
Is it a case that I need to put an Initialisation string somewhere to force the 56K connection ?

You are not alone, I would also be interested in an answer to this as I am also experiancing this problem. I even went as far as removing RAS and reinstalling it and the 4 x modems and I am still getting a 33.6k connection. Control panel settings are set to a max of 56700 baud.

Jonathan

This thread is old, and I don't know if anyone is following it.
I have a very simular problem, my top connection speed is 28.8K.
If I dial in via hyperterminal I get a 52K connection direct to the modem (56K usr fax modem). There fore the phone lines are good and the modem work fine. The problem is in the RAS server. Running NT4.0 SP6. There is a file called modem.inf that RRas (RAS) uses to init the modems. There is a up date to this file to allow greater ther 38K connections. (from USR). I have installed this file and still have the same problem. I still think the modem.inf is the answer however I can't figure out which part of the file it(RAS) is using. any thoughts......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back