Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to FTP in Windows XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

muthabored

Technical User
May 5, 2003
US
Hello, All!

I've agreed to assist a friend with occasional updates to her website. I know where her website is being hosted but in order to access it to make changes, I need to be able to FTP into it. Is there a utility built into XP (some sort of Windows component) that I can install? Is there another program that anyone can recommend that I can use? Once I've got said program/component installed (I have her username and password and the FTP servers that are hosting her site), will it be difficult to access?

Thanks in advance

wolluf/mynameisbrian:

Once I bring up FTP via a command prompt, where do I go from there?

You can also use IE. Just put the ftp address in IE's address bar. You will probably need to go to File, Login as...

Hello, Smah:

I'm using IE 6.0 but I don't see an option for "Login As" under the File menu. Thank you for your reply.

have you done any work in this area ... like, ftp /? or Start>Help>FTP ??

This is how I do it from the command line:

Open a command prompt and change to the folder on your hard drive where the files are located. type FTP <return> then run the commands one line at a time and wait for the server to respond before typing the next command.

open <name of upload site> <RETURN>
username <RETURN>
password <RETURN>
cd <path> <RETURN>
binary <RETURN>
put filename <RETURN>
close <RETURN>
quit <RETURN>

You should be returned to the command prompt here.
Note that some FTP sites restrict the addresses that are allowed FTP upload access to the site.

John

here..

open your web browser and type in

ftp://username:password@host.name.com/

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

that didn't work to well... tried to parse the link...

ok..

ftp:// username:password @ host.name.com /

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

LloydSev:

Pardon my ignorance but I'm assuming that I need to put the actual username and password where you have "username:password". If so, I tried that but it doesn't work (I receive "This Page Cannot Be Displayed").

Thanks for your help

Best free FTP client : FileZilla from
FTP from command line:

ftp <url> or

c:\ftp

ftp> open <url>
- will automatically do the next
ftp> username: <username>
ftp> password: <password>
-- or you can specify a username
ftp> user <username>
-- then password will follow

-next set local directory where local files are
ftp> lcd c:\<directory>
- get directory listing from ftp
ftp>dir
-- If server is unix compatible use (ls) -better and shows permissions
ftp> ls
-change directory
ftp> cd <directory>
-upload a file from LCD
ftp>put <file>
-download a file from FTP site
ftp>get <file>
-close connection
ftp>bye

There are numerous freeware/shareware FTP client software as well as the command-line and IE. In IE, the 'log-in as' won't be available until after you access the ftp server.

Smah:

That's the problem. I can't figure out HOW to access the FTP server via IE/Mozilla. I suspect I'm entering in the wrong syntax. I have, however, figured out how to access it via a command prompt in XP but I'd rather use a GUI to get to what I need.

IE has a FTP client built in.
Mozilla has a read only FTP client browser built in.
Firefox has a FTP client available as an extention.

That said...

To use IE's FTP client:
in the url -> ftp://ftp.site.com

place your pointer over the body of the browser and right click (or Shift + F10) and select 'Login as...' then enter your username/password

---------------------
For Mozilla/Firefox:

You can pass your username/password through the URL:

ftp://username:password@ftp.site.com

You used to be able to pass username/password in the URL in IE but this method was used as a URL spoof scheme for phishing bank information and Microsoft diabled support for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back