Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to forward messages to home e-mail account 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnold4

Technical User
Jan 18, 2006
GB
Hi

one of our employee's is going to work from home for 2 weeks and wants all of his e-mail that is sent to his business account forwarded onto his personal e-mail address.

We are running SBS 2000. i have not had to do this before and hope someone can tell me the best way of setting this up.

Thanks in advance

scott

Hi

Are you running Exchange/Outlook?

If so - within Outlook on his PC go to Tools > Rules Wizard (the exact option will differ based on Outlook version, it could be "Rules and Alerts"...Rules being the key word however!).

From the Rules wizard, create a new rule from scratch and select the option "Check messages when they arrive" and click next.

Select "where my name is in the TO or CC box" (or similar). Click next.

Now select the option related to "Forward the message", or if you select "Forward to people on the distribution list" -make sure there is an entry for the home address in the users contacts, and select that one.

The summary of the rule will be along the lines of:

"Apply rule after message arrives,
Where my name is in the TO or CC field,
Forward to homeaddress@whatever.com"

As i say the exact wording may differ, but im sure you get the idea. Hope this helps.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Create a contact in Active Directory that contains his external address.

Once you have done that you can go down the outlook rules path described above

Cheers

Paul

Thanks EMESES

I dont use the "delivery options" modification route in ADUC, as firstly, it is a huge admin overhead if you have 100+ users ringing up every 5 minutes asking for it to be switched on or off.

Allowing them to use outlook rules after you have created the contact eliminates the admin overhead, and gives them control of their mail

Good link though !

Cheers

Paul

But with outlook rule, users need to leave their computers on and outlook running, right???

EMESES - Most rules are server side. There are some occasions when there is a "client only rule" that will require the users PC to be switched on, logged in and have outlook running before it will process. For example, deleting all mail from a certain recipient can sometimes work in this manner.

For the majority of rules however (at least in my experience), the rule is processed by the Exchange Server which then takes the appropriate action - this does not reqiure the users PC to be on.

Well, that is at least the case for Exchange Server 2000 and I presume 2003 also. Don't know about 5.5 however.

Hope that clears things up a bit

Many thanks cyberspace for your explanation, that's too clear, but one more thing, where to add these kind of rules?? in outlook or exchange??

You can create all rules in Outlook.

If it is going to be a client only rule (ie, PC must be on) it will explicitly tell you when you hit "ok" for the last time when creating the rule.

Otherwise, it will be a server side rule and will be processed by exchange.

You can check the status of your rules by going into Tools ?> Rules and Alerts. There will be a summary of rules - any rules that will only run when the PC is on will show '(Client-Only)' next to them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back