Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to forward email with original date and from person

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2001
US
I am at a client who is using Exchange 2k, Outlook 2000, and Blackberry devices. The problem we have is when someones Blackberry dies and we cannot get the data off of it. Resynching Address Book, Calendar, Notes and Tasks is easy, the problem comes if we want to get all the old email back into the blackberry. Blackberry software will not do it because all the mail is sent wirelessly and not synched through the cradle. So, our plan was to forward old email to the user from Inbox to themselves, then the Exchange server with Blackberry enterprise software will deliver it to the user. Problem is, when you forward the email to yourself, it shows as the email being from you and todays date, I want to be able to forward the email retaining the original From person line and Date it was originally sent. Can this be done with a VB Script or something? I have been looking all over and know nothing about VB Scripting. Just thought I would throw it out here and see if I am even on the right track as to if this can be done. Thanks

Brad Shifflett
Francisco Partners

As far as I am aware - every mail engine automatically inserts the "From" field. We have tried overwriting this field in a number of products and it cannot be done. The nearest we got was in a Lotus ccMail product where we had the facility to generate messages in batch files automatically. We could then fill in the "From" field.

Sorry - I think you are out of luck.

I believe that certain fields within the Object model are Read-Only. But you can always, concatenate the From & Sent Date into a line and add it to the subject or body property.

Or try to use a UserProperty. This of course may not work with your Blackberry unit.

Here is a great site for working with Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back