Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to format the disks in an EMC DAE model K1 FC4700 through FCLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

npatrizi

Technical User
Nov 16, 2006
GB
HI

I have an EMC DAE which I think is an FC4700 but the Firmware reports the model as "K1". I wish to format all of the hard drives but I do not have any software such as navisphere. I have tried using the di command in the FCLI to format the drives but I keep on getting a strange error message:

fcli> di 0 -d 0 -f
RB error full 0x206C0101
part category 0x2 code 0x206C error num 0x6C status 0x1 type 0x1
Format Disk ERROR: Category 0x2 Num 0x6C Type 0x1

Sunburst Code: HOST_FRU_FORMATTED_OR_NOT_LEGA
Status recv'd opcode 0x84 status 0x206C0101

11/16/2006 15:16:51
fcli>

Can someone please advise me on what I should do in order to format the drives?

Drives should format automatically.
I know of no way to format the drives other than removing them and installing in a system with adaptec or similar scsi controller.

This is a K1 - FC5300 Clariion.

If you want to bind the drives into a raid config, you need to bind commands in fcli. If you get errors, it's because there are already configured units that need to be deleted before you can reconfigure the array. Unbind and sg commands will help clear the array.

Do the drives format automatically when I bind them into RAID-0? I need to ensure that all of the previous owners data has been removed.

Whenever raid groups are unbound, the information on the drives is lost. You could run zd (zero disk) from fcli to clear the data. That can take a few hours to run depending on the size of you disks.

I ran zero disk on all the drives but the FLARE operating system is still booting from the HDD's and I have no way to verify that all the data has been removed. I need a way to completely wipe all the drives. I also have a Clariion CX400 here and I would like to do the same to that but I do not know of any way to get to the FCLI.

Why not just bind all the disks into a raid 5 and run format from your opsys until you're comfortable that the data is gone.
The only other option I can think of is to run the disks thru a degausser BUT that will REMOVE the flare that the Clariion needs to operate and you will NOT be able to recover it without a seed drive containing the specific version of flare you need for you Clariion.

I'm just rereading the post: "but the FLARE operating system is still booting ".

I want to make it clear that without the Flare OS you just own a brick. It will NOT function without the Flare OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back