Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to format my hard drive using Windows xp pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

phirob

Vendor
Jul 7, 2004
CA
Cannot format my harddrive. I want to start all over, but it keeps telling me that I have utilities that are in the background. I shut them off, but it still doesn't work. Any hot techs out there that can help me. Thanks

Sounds like you're trying to format the hard drive from within windows.

Boot off of the CD, delete the partition, and re-install.

Just my $.02

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify it's owner." --Me
--Greg

It's not hot where I am (it's the middle of winter) but try this anyway.

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup."

For more help (shows enlargeable screenshots) go here.

Hi,

Like someone already said, you will need to boot from your xp cd and format your drive through there.

Or

Try getting a copy of partition magic, with this you can format your drive while in windows, it is relatively easy to use.

Or
Boot into DOS, and use the built format command.

Joe

I think that formating from a Windows CD will format NTFS only (or is this only in XP Home?). I format with a Win98 disk and then when I install XP, I get the choice of NTFS or FAT32.

When you boot from your xp cd, your system will be checked, for exsisting operating systems and particions, here you can delete or create new particions.

you will then be given the options of how to format your newly created particions options are, Fat 32 or NTFS both options have a (quick) format option, which I personally never use, simply highlight whichever format option you require and let Xp do its thing. As far as I know the fat 32 option is available in both Home and pro versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back