Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to format HDD using win xp 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe28

Vendor
Dec 17, 2002
GB
Ok this problem is driving me nut's, can anyone help?

im using win xp pro and when playing games online, it keeps crashing and the pc freezes up.
iv tryd all the usual things like making sure the drivers are upto date, and checking for irqs.
so im going to format my hdd and start again, i have a 40gb hdd with no partitions on it.
i used the boot disk to get to sysyem setup screen up and it wont let me format the primary hd.
so i made a boot to dos disk from win xp, and put fdisk at the A:\> and i get bad command ,same when i try the format command format c: /s

thanks in advance

Just boot with the XP cd and start the setup. When prompted about partioning, delete the existing partion and continue - xp will format for you.

You don't need to do it beforehand. To do clean install, just boot from XP install CD & when it asks where you want to install, use the tools there to remove the existing partition (select & D) and then create a new one (C). Easy as that.

PS. Don't forget to backup everything you want to sve first - it will all be gone afterward.

PPS. Your problems may be symtomatic of a hardware fault - so be prepared for some troubleshooting if XP continues to cause trouble after reinstall.

Either use a 98 bot disk or get dos on disc and boot into that - XP no like dos or fdsisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back