Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Format C: Drive In XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenoo

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
IE
I have XP Pro SP2 Installed in the C Partition of a h/d which is further partitioned into E,F & G drives.

Due to corruption problems I am unable to boot into Windows either normally or into Safe Mode as Windows hangs in both cases.

I have both the original XP Pro Installation CD-Rom and the 6 XP Pro Installation Floppies.

I would like to format the C: drive only of this h/d in order to re-install XP Pro.

Could someone please explain how I go about the formatting of the C: drive whilst leaving the other Partitions intact with such a "stalled" system

try to boot from the floppy, but it may be better to try a repair from the CD. if the repair doesn't work then you should be able to re-install to C:

You have no need to reinstall your entire system!
You can launch Windows XP installation only in repair console or you can reinstall your system.

These variants will save your data. You should reinstall some applications as maximum.

If you lost your boot record Windows XP repair console can restore it.

support@allsharewareproducts.com (

All you need is your original XP disk or floppies. Boot the machine using the disk or floppies, then when you come to the screen talking about repair or install, go to the INSTALL then you'll be brought to a screen where you can Install over-top your current installation, or wipe it clean and install. If you wipe it clean, you'll come to a screen showing your partions. Follow the instructions.

You might need some of your driver disks for any hardware you have attached, otherwise should go fine.

I have my HD partitioned as well for the same reason. I have also had to re-install XP Pro sp2 more than once. Keeping the C: as the Window's directory and everything else on other directorys sure makes it much easier to re-install everytime the OS wants to get sick.

Have a great new year to ALL.

>-- --<

[worm] Bill [:<}

You could try running ChkDsk /r from the Recovery Console.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

If that doesn't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates (no problem if you substitute them with SP2) but your files and programs will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup."

For more help (shows enlargeable screenshots) go here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back