Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to format and clean install W2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

redmike

Technical User
Feb 25, 2002
IL
Hi,

I recently installed W2k on my Toshiba Satellite and it runs well except that I did a "clean" install into my W98 directory thinking that it would get overwritten.

Any NSW won't install and I have leftovers from a dual boot.

So I want to format the C: drive and install W2k pro onto it (it's NTFS) but I just booted from a floppy and tried to install W2k - just as a test - and I get the message saying "cannot install from dos".

So how will I install it ?

I don't want to reload the factory W98 system do I :-(

Any help would be appreciated. Wasted days trying to do it the "quick" way.

thanks,

Mike

Hi

You need to create the 4 boot floppys and delete the excisting partitions when prompted.

I would make a note of all the device drivers that you have in device manager and download them all first for win 2000 as win2k may not support all the devices in the laptop.

check this link out to create the boot disks.

thanks.

I already have the boot disks.

Kind of stupid of me not to think of that but my head is in a whirl after going through the dual-boot; install progs; clean install scenrio.

I'll check out the device drivers.

regards,

Mike

Hi,redmike,

I too have a Tosh Satellite and did a complete fresh re-install using the four floppy disks.

The Tosh will boot from the USB floppy drive without problem, and you will then have the option to delete the existing partition(s).

You should have a CD supplied with the Tosh with all the drivers. Once they're installed, you can get any updates from Tosh's website:
Iechyd da! John
15:44 17/08/2003

thanks for the replies.

I did the "new partition" and format, one and a half hours ago.

Blown away by how easy it was, and I just wasted (learning perhaps) a couple of days trying to do fixes.

W2k even found my Zircom network card and put me on line without a reboot.

I did nearly have a heart attack though !!

After the W2k install, on the reboot, I got a message saying, "no-system disk".

I'd forgotten the floppy in the disk drive :)

regards,

Mike

P.S. Haven't yet seen anthing that isn't working ...

Hi, redmike,

> W2k even found my Zircom network card and put me on line without a reboot.

Good, isn't it?

Glad you're up and running - you'll not regret leavig Win98 behind.

Iechyd da! John
18:18 17/08/2003

btw - you should have been able to just boot from the 2k install CD (if your laptop supports booting from CD) - rather than have to create the 4 floppies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back