Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to format a hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

caudalie

Technical User
Sep 25, 2003
US
I was wondering, are there any other ways to format a hardrive for windows 98 instead of typing that format :c command???

If i remember correctly my uncle format my computer before and he used a floppy disc and he did somthing, can someone help me please

;)

You can format the drive using FDISK command. This will erase all of your data. The W98SE usually comes with a floppy that has FDISK on it. Put it in the A: drive and restart the computer and you should be able to type c:FDISK.

Another option is to look at the drive manufacture's website and you may be able to download an utility to re-format the drive.

Fdisk is the best bet and make sure you know what format you want your HD in...FAT16 (as some Win98 Boot Disks will format it in), or FAT32 (as mine does) or the OS like (WinXP..which will want NTFS unless previously formatted in FAT32).

RiceBoy
Rice Boyz Society
RiceBoyRicer@hotmail.com
(613) 355-7163

doesn't FDISK just create the partition? you still have to format the partition with the FORMAT command?

Yes, NiteMareBug. You are correct.

Caulalie,
Your uncle probably used the boot disk with CD support and ran the setup command on the CD. It automatically fdisks, formats, and sets up the OS.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Also, using the disk utility that comes with the hard drive is a quick method of partitioning and formating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back